20 minute AMRAP of:
4 DB box step-ups with 45/30lb. DBs on a 24”/20” box
My Favorite Mobility Tool
By Cassie Finer
I think it is safe to assume most of us do not take proper care of our muscles outside of the box. We are so hard on them and they just stick around, day after day, taking the abuse. They deserve some TLC!
We've had several blog posts about mobility, we have mobility posters in the back of the gym, and we lead you all through various mobility exercises on a daily basis. You have hopefully all had a chance to use a lacrosse ball, foam roller, band, and barbell for various muscle lovin' activities. I wanted to take a moment to introduce you to my FAVORITE mobility tool of all time. Behold, the Supernova:
- Grippy! You know when you find JUST the spot with that lax ball and suddenly it slips out from under you? Annoying. This guy doesn't do that. This means you can really focus on relaxing into those crunchy bits and not worry about losing your mobility tool. The grippyness is also helpful in breaking up adhesions between layers of muscle and tissue but you can just take my word on that one.
- Big enough to get into some tough muscle groups (quads, butt, back) but small enough to be portable. I take this guy everywhere. It fits in my school bag and is much easier to pack on a trip than my foam roller. It's also big enough to put under a leg on your soft office chair and still get some mashing done. I've even used it on long drives to mash out sore shoulders where my lax ball would just disappear into the cushioning of my seat.
- Small and gentle enough to take care of smaller muscles in the arms, calves, psoas, diaphragm, etc. Honestly I've yet to find a muscle group that doesn't prefer the Supernova.
- Price on the new version is a little steep ($39.95) compared to a lacrosse ball or cheaper foam roller. That being said, do I really need to convince you that your body is worth $40?
- Other CrossFitters will try to steal it from you. Put your name on it... and a tracking device just for good measure.
- Your friends and office mates will think you're weird because you'll cary it everywhere. They're probably right, but I don't care.
You can buy it here: http://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova-2-0